Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Using Google Drawing

I originally wanted to be a high school history teacher when I thought about teaching. I thought it would suit me. Today I had a chance to observe a high school history lesson as a part of our internal professional development.

The lesson was about why maps change. It started with some questions to check for understanding - the lower-level Bloom's stuff then moved into an activity where the students were comparing and contrasting maps on paper. At the end of class, the map was beamed up onto the whiteboard and the students annotated it using whiteboard markers.

Then it had to be erased for the next map.

I suggested that the teacher try using Google Drawings for a lesson like this next time. The class could have been broken up into groups with each student at his or her own computer. The map could be shared with the students and they could all be working on the same map at the same time.

Another way to do it would be to have two maps shared with members of each team. Each team annotates their own map, then presents it at the end of the lesson or time frame.

It might also be a good idea for the students to be assigned a color, so you know who is writing what.

This got me excited to think of the possibilities of what can be done. Finally, I figured out a way to use Google Drawing.

Link to Document
Map: By http://maps.bpl.org (Geographica restituta per globi trientes) [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

I need to do something like this with my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment