Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Homework Myth - Chapter 6

What We Haven't Learned About Learning

This chapter made me uncomfortable to read. I found myself cringing when some of the common, but poor, teaching practices were brought into question since I have used them.

The first part of the chapter deals with time; or rather, a lack of it. And yes, I always feel like I do not have enough time in class to do what I want to do. I try not to be a taskmaster having the students work on things under a gun. When we write, I give them two days (two periods) to go from the brainstorming stage to the final product. I really enjoy watching my students talk to each other about their writing or walk up to the whiteboard together to figure out how to spell something. When helping another student spell, I heard, "Sound it out. What sounds do you hear?" (This is all a part of an unfinished post.)
* I also don't like to force them to write at least ~ sentences/pages. When I blog, do I always write at least ~ sentences/pages? I do however, want them to do their best. Maybe sometimes a few sentences is their best. I just came across this.

I find myself smiling while watching my students interact in helpful ways like this, then I get scared that I am not preparing them for what is to come; standardized tests. For the ISA test, the students only get about 45 minutes to plan and write. I find myself putting more and more pressure on the students to get finished. Maybe I should have a discussion with them about why I want them to get finished.

All in all, it is not a matter of more time, but a better use of what I have.

Kohn also talks about time as being spent on practice. He sets up the mantra "More time = more learning which leads to mastery" to be shot down. Learning a subject is not like baseball or karate where the more rote practice you have, the better you can become [given that you have the talent].

Quote of the Chapter

Giving practice problems to students who lack understanding can have any of several effects:

  • It may make them feel stupid.
  • It may get them accustomed to doing things the wrong way.
  • It may teach them to fake it.
  • It teachers them that the activity being practiced is something people aren't supposed to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment