Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Number Flower

It was interesting to watch my class tackle the puzzle below last week.
I put them into pairs and read the directions to them. Then I let them go off and try it.


At first they were all very noisy shouting for help and I heard a lot of, "I don't get it". That was all very uncomfortable for me. I want my students to be independent problem solvers, and I don't want to be a crutch.

Then I gave the class a hint, or reminded them, that you can only use one number once. Suddenly, one student said aloud, "I got it!" and group after group started working on the puzzle.

I really enjoyed seeing the tension that this puzzle caused my students. I also enjoyed talking to the most vocal  of the "Can't Doers" and asking about her thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment