Sunday, September 27, 2015

Empathy

I was hired this year to be the first Learning Technology Coach at Kaohsiung American School. It is a great honor to be a part of the building and evolution of a coaching program.

At the same time it can be very humbling as I learn my way around the school and the role which has led me to feel isolated at times.


The other day I was making my way around the school and I visited one teacher's room. We were talking about his class, and how things are going for him because he is in a situation similar to me in that he is also new to the school and the country.

At one point in our conversation he said, "I am glad I am not in your position. You have it rough being in a brand new role at the school."

That little bit of empathy, that short phrase, made me feel connected and relieved that someone else understood, or at least thought about, what I was going through.

I was no longer an island.

Which left me with two questions I will carry with me:

  • Am I in tune to what other teachers are going through? 
  • Am I able to empathize as well as that teacher did?


No comments:

Post a Comment