Thursday, May 2, 2013

Understanding by Design Chapter 2

Photo Credit: perspicuus by
 woodleywonderworks via Compfight cc
Transfer is the ability to apply knowledge to new situations and is at the heart of understanding and learning. If students cannot transfer knowledge or if they donor have an opportunity to do so, they will forget.

So avoid forgetfulness
1. Uncover student potential misunderstandings

2. Uncover q's, issues, assumptions, and gray areas lurking underneath the black and white of surface accounts

3. Uncover core ideas at the heart of understanding a subject


Big Concepts
Wiggins and McTighe also talk about uncovering the big and hidden concepts. This got me thinking about my next unit about ecosystems. I came up with a few:

  • Everything is connected
  • [Almost] everything is a cycle
  • Systems run the world
That's what I got off the top of my head. I'll have to revisit them this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment