Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Mirrors in My Classroom

I remember the day in the beginning of the year when I sat down with one of my first graders to review writing. She was talking about something I didn't completely understand. When I asked her about it she pointed to the part of her writing she was referring to.

But the pointing was not pointing; it was a rude kind of tapping that left me wondering where in the world she could have gotten that from.

A few days later I caught myself doing the same tapping.

Doh!

Fast forward to last week. The mother of one of my students commented on my new haircut and how it looked different since the front of my hair was kind of up. I told her my hair was up because I have a habit of brushing my hair back. Now that it is shorter, it stays up.

"So that's where he got that!" she said.
"Got what?" I asked.
She explained, "He always does that with his hair. I hate that."

Doh!

I have been amazed at the ability of these younglings to absorb the information from around them. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad ...

No comments:

Post a Comment