Sunday, April 14, 2013

Who's Responsible For This?

A long while back an email came into my inbox from Education Week with a subject that read, "Webinar: Surging IT Service Requests and Helpdesk Support". I just now finally got around to watching it.

I cannot say it was that interesting. It was about how an IT support company deals with a huge school district in Kansas City and manages the support requests. While I was listening to it, I was thinking of the comments I have seen from some IT Coordinators when they become an IT Coordinator. Basically, the first thing many say (and I think I would say too) was that they were not a support desk.

My school is centrally organized; meaning that the IT Coordinator works with the leadership team to formulate policy. He has to work hard since it is his job to make sure everything is running smoothly. The problem with organizing the infrastructure this way is that when something goes wrong, everything is dependent on one person and it can take time to fix. It is also difficult for one person to keep all the software updated.

Photo Credit: Raymond Brettschneider via Compfight cc



One idea I got from the webinar was how that school district made some students and teachers "Tech Advisors"; people that can be turned to for help before calling for support. I really liked this idea. I think it could not only help students gain knowledge and computer skills, but I think it would also give them a sense of ownership. Instead of teachers reminding students to not eat in computer labs, I can see students policing themselves.

I wonder what it would take to get this started.

What does tech support look like at your school? Do you have students helping out?

No comments:

Post a Comment