Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Using the Cloud for School Documents

Before this year I had a problem. I would often work on files at home, and then need to transfer them by email to school. It was not so bad (but not so good either) when working with documents, but when working with photos, I would have to use a flash drive.

Last fall I downloaded a file sharing program onto my PC at school. At first I only used it occasionally to transfer photos from home to school. Then report card time came around, and the capability to directly transfer between computers saved me a lot of time. The advantage I found with email over services like Box.com and Dropbox is with email, you have an archive of the previous versions without having to change the file names.

I would really like for the school to start using either Google Documents or SkyDrive more. SkyDrive has the Microsoft name, so it has better compatibility with MS Documents, but it is still a little awkward to use when editing uploaded documents online. Google Documents has similar issues, but I feel it is more flexible than SkyDrive.

This year I am teaching younger kids, so I am not sure how, where, or when I can use the cloud with my students in my lessons. I have some ideas right now, but I need to see what they are capable of first.

This fall, however, I want to try to find another school that I can link up with to write a story together.

No comments:

Post a Comment