Friday, August 24, 2012

The Story Behind the Abstract Art in the Hall

Last June we had a morning where the students went to their future teacher for the morning.

To prepare for that morning, I asked the art teacher to draw something on a big piece of cardboard I had. She drew a scene with dinosaurs in it.

I then cut the cardboard into different pieces to make a puzzle. During the "carousel morning", we painted the cardboard pieces.

The students did not know what the puzzle was, so they had no inhibitions about how they painted the parts of their puzzle; all they could see were some lines.

I wanted to have them put the puzzle together on that June morning, but the paint did not dry in time. 

The puzzle turned out to be a good first day activity. It was great to see them all [all 6 of them at the time we are now up to 7] working together to put the puzzle together. Unfortunately when I went to take a picture for the blog, I tried to shoot through the Tumblr app, but I had internet issues and I did not even think to simply take a picture with the iPad camera.

It's too bad, it was a great sight.

After they put the puzzle together, I wondered what I would do with it. I wanted to put it on the wall, but it is fairly big so I did not want to use precious bulletin board space on it. So I taped it together in the back.

Then I thought of hanging it outside my room since there was nothing out there yet anyway. Somehow I got the idea to use these heavy-duty magnets with hooks I have laying around. I used two for the base, and two to hold the top.

At least it is colorful.



No comments:

Post a Comment