Monday, April 30, 2012

Influencers

Last year I had a student in my class who was an influencer. He was someone who the other students looked up to, and I saw him lead the other students to new heights in reading and writing. Being a native speaker, the only male native speaker in the classroom, the other boys looked up to him and followed what he was into. (He negatively influenced them at times as well, but I will always remember him for pushing the other boys to read more often and more challenging books.)

This year my class lacks someone like that. I have a few who can influence negatively, and I have to watch out for them and keep them engaged or their attitude spreads, but I do not have anyone in the class who is pushing the other students.

Can an influencer be created? Is there a way to foster this kind of magnetism in a student?

No comments:

Post a Comment