Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Change the Question

This might become my new header.

ChatGPT is causing a lot of panic -- in me. On the HS side of the school, I have seen two instances of students using it to write out their work.

I am not panicking because ChatGPT can write for you -- I am panicking because students and teachers are not ready for it.

When I saw that a student was using it, I immediately messaged the IT team to let them know that it was happening. I got a reply that there will be a workshop in January for the upper school teachers. 

That's good, but still, I wish I would be there. My talk might go something like this:
  • Ask the audience for a prompt - an assignment they just gave their students,
  • Type it into ChatGPT and hope it doesn't produce an error,
  • ChatGPT does its thing and we talk about it.
  • Repeat with a different assignment,
  • Show how similar they are (ChatGPT gives very formulaic answers to questions like a 7th-grader),
  • We would then talk about what would need to change in our teaching - maybe more oral answers, maybe more in-class work, better questions perhaps, but something would need to change.



No comments:

Post a Comment