Sunday, April 8, 2018

Paraphrasing and Active Listening





One thing the first few coaches talk about in this video is paraphrasing, or active listening.

I have read that paraphrasing is an effective way to show the person you are talking to that you are listening. It is a staple of the coaching toolkit.

I do not like paraphrasing, however.

I wish I could put my finger on why, but I think I must have had a bad experience in the past. I wonder if it was used to twist my words or trap me at one time - or many times.

The coaching position comes down for the need for trust. I believe it is imperitative for a coach to first build good relationships with those they are coaching. Without trust, there might be seeds of doubt that could hinder the coaching process.

No comments:

Post a Comment