Friday, March 24, 2017

Leverage Your PLN

I joined Twitter professionally in 2010 or 2011. I was on before that, but I was only using it socially.

For a while, I had two accounts running, one personal and one professional. This worked until I realized I was wasting a lot of time switching between the accounts. Whenever I flip between accounts, I am bound to accidently post to the wrong one.

And that's what happened.

How to Cultivate a Personal Learning Network

I reflected on why I had two accounts and decided I didn't need two. So I deleted one.

I have spent a lot of time building relationships. This is work - it involves helping other teachers when I can, answering questions, and sharing. Most of all, it takes time.

I was reminded of this when a teacher asked me to search for some resources for her. I knew of a Twitter contact who had the answer for her, and a little while later I had a starting point for her.

She was then interested in joining Twitter, which is great and I encouraged her to do it, but I cautioned her that it is a long process. Mine is several years in the making and I feel I still have a lot of room to grow.

*One tip I give teachers when they join Twitter is to find hashtags, then follow people from within the hashtags. 

No comments:

Post a Comment