Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Enjoy the Process

A dual-level classroom is an interesting environment to teach in.

Every year the students I had the year before amaze me when I compare them to the new students coming in. I just started teaching the grade 1-2 class last year, so I didn't see it, but I have been happily surprised at how much the second graders can do by themselves.

The high of seeing what the second graders can do is seeming to distort my perception of them.

I have to constantly remind myself to see them for what they can do, and not what they cannot do.



This summer I had a list of things I wanted to do with my class this year. And we will get to that list, but it will not come right away. It is hard not to fall into the trap of rushing them, pushing them too fast, trying to get too much done. It is a hard thing not to do.

So I wrote myself a reminder and hung above my door, "Enjoy the Process".

No comments:

Post a Comment