Thursday, July 13, 2017

Volunteering at a Japanese Junior High

[This was from 2017]

For the past few weeks, I have been volunteering off and on at a public junior high school here in Japan.

A post shared by Thomas Hammerlund (@thomashammerlund) on

JHS students practice for the Sansa Odori. A summer festival dance.

I used to work in an elementary school here as an ALT (Assistant Language Teacher), but I wasn't and assistant. I had to develop the curriculum for the school and teach all the classes alone.

The elementary school was a brand new school with two classes per grade 1-6. It was in a swanky suburb out by Tokyo Disneyland. I remember one of the student's father was a pro baseball player.

I took that job when I began studying for my master's degree in education. I had to see if I really wanted to do this before I jumped in, right?


[And that's where the post ends. I am going to leave this post as is.]

No comments:

Post a Comment