Saturday, December 31, 2016

Course 1 - Who Inspired you to do Creative Work?

  • Who inspired you to do creative work (a friend, a mentor, or a teacher)? 
This question is a hard one for me, probably too hard. I wanted to talk about a past teacher. I can think of a few teachers who were influential:
  • Grade 3
  • Grade 4
  • Grade 5
  • Grade 6
  • Grade 7
  • Grade 10
  • Grade 11
  • Several in college

This list gives me for an idea to make a post of the most memorable lessons from my own schooling. 

The teachers' areas of specialization are also interesting because they weigh heavily in social studies and in college, I chose international relations, a course of the social studies group of subjects, as my major.
  • How did that shape your approach to teaching?
I don't remember much about schooling before high school - my mind was always focused on things outside the classroom, but I do remember a shift from junior high to high school and college. Assignments moved from more project-based learning to essay/writing assignments, then to lectures and essays in college.

I remember a unit on communities in junior high were we were asked to interview all our neighbors in what we considered to be our neighborhood. So, we first had to decide and justify what we consider to be our neighborhood and identify it on a map before going out and knocking on doors.

In high school, I had a new (to teaching) teacher that had us simulate the Cuban Missle crisis. I don't think his lesson went according to plan (we always opted for the nuclear option) but it made us look at the even a little differently and I still remember it as an interesting way of teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment