Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A More Relaxed Book Report

I want my class to be able to talk about their books, and I want them to be able to tell their audience interesting things about the books. But, my students are non-native English speakers in Grades 1 & 2.

I tried having them make book covers, or pictures to go along with their stories. Those did not capture their interest like I wanted.

This week I tried having them write a friendly letter from one fairy tale character (our current unit of study) to another character in the same story. I used a Kidspiration template I found for friendly letters to give them a template.

I had no idea how it would work, but it turned out better than I had thought. I liked the one letter from Jack (of Jack and the Beanstalk) to the giant saying he was sorry that he stole the hen, but that he and his mother really needed the money.

Today I had the kids go to the front of the room with a book they had read and I had the other students simply ask them questions about the book. That was a great way for me to know if they had understood their books.

And this post hopefully is getting me back into the swing of blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment