Sunday, April 22, 2018

Meet Them Where They Are



Yesterday I popped my earbuds in and turned on my podcast player while I took my dog for a walk. One of the podcasts I listened to was the Shifting Our Schools Podcast Episode 46: Teaching a Media First Generation.

There was a lot to think about in this episode, but what resonated with me was that we need to reach the community the way they like to be reached.

Until recently, I was of the mindset to have one or two places where the community (or students) can get information. In the past when I formulated that thought, there weren't the tools needed to create a "wide net" strategy. Now, with If This Then That (IFTTT), it is easier than ever. So really, there is no reason to not cast a wider net.

Every school I have been at has had a Facebook page. I haven't followed any FB pages of the schools I have worked for, and I have wished the schools were on Twitter (one was heavily on Twitter, one light, and the other is not). Since I am a Twitter user, I found it much easier to follow, receive, and interact with the information.

I know that I have resisted what I believed to be a school's push of one platform over another, so I wonder why I have, as a coach and teacher, pushed one platform over another.

Going forward, one idea I have is to survey the community, including the students, to ask them how they would like to get information. Then, use IFTTT to deliver the same message to different platforms. I am also rethinking how I communicate with my own students next year. Hopefully, I can meet them where they are.


Podcasts the got me thinking





Principal Matters Podcast
PMP:107 Positive Messaging with Parents and Communities


No comments:

Post a Comment