Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Being Silly Helps You Remember?

We use Words Their Way as a way to teach spelling and word patterns. Each week, in the beginning of the week, when I hand out the word lists, I go around and make sure students know how to pronounce the words and I can answer any questions the students have about the word lists. When I am doing this I record the students repeating me on Seesaw so parents also have a copy of the pronunciation if they need it.



One of my groups this year, maybe out of boredom, started using silly "Alven and the Chipmunks" voices when they repeat. 

While they are working with me, there are about 15 others students working in the classroom. Loud squeals might be distracting for others, so I remind them of it. I have been reluctant to have them stop since this helps make a mundane task manageable for them. 

However, after listening to an episode of Kwik Brain, I feel it is important for them to be silly while doing this because that silliness makes these words more memorable. Maybe it is the unpredictability of it.

It seems to serve a dual purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment