Sunday, May 19, 2013

Course 2 Final Project - A Technology AUP for Grades K-6

The school I am working at just recently updated the school's AUP. When I saw it, I felt like it was missing something, something besides easy-to-understand language for the elementary students. The school's AUP needed some positive language in it.

It takes a village

Too often when looking at other schools' AUPs, the rules and regulations made me feel as if using technology were criminal.

I, however, think that technology should be celebrated. Students should know that technology can be exciting and fun. Yes, computer games are OK to play in moderation.

When writing mine, I tried to write rules in a positive manner that revolved around our school STARs, or ESLRs expected student learning results. I wanted to focus on the "cans" and "shoulds" rather than the "don'ts".

I also wanted to make a document that was all on one page so young students would be able to follow along.

I waited too long to try to find someone to collaborate with so I made a post to see if anyone was interested. I was fortunate to find a few people to collaborate with: Adam, Ben, Claudelle, Margriet, and Vivian. Thank you all. Using Google Docs, collaboration was relatively smooth; or as smooth as collaborating through time zones and through borders can be.

My collaborators gave me some great advice, but I think this is still a work in progress. For it to be a truly elementary AUP, I need to add some graphics.

With that said, this is a lot better than what I started with.



Something I noticed when I started reading the AUPs from other cohort members was how there is a shift from talking about dont's, to more positive language. Are we all drinking the same Kool-Aid? I think the shift is a great one for education.

No comments:

Post a Comment